Categories

Friday 3 June 2016

Learning To Love The Nigerian Way!

I love the idea of pressing his mumu button.

I love to boss him around.

I like the fact that he's under my control.

But I don't want that kinda man. I can't love that kinda man.

For all its worth, a man should be in control.
Never mind that some emotionally displaced women are fighting for equality now.
I like a man in control of his woman even when the woman in question is so fine and brings out the mumu in men.

My name is Obiageli. I'm a Nigerian girl. I know what I want and this man looking at me like i'm some work of magic, isn't what I want.

Our men don't understand, they will never understand, why we prefer cash over flowers 💐

Nigeria is a tough place to live in.

The climate is harsh.

Our parents are too unfeeling.

Our men are opposite of romantic.
And love, doesn't exist here. Not even a teeny weeny itsy bitsy.

I remember being a foolish virgin back then in the University.
I was living comfortably and I had a boyfriend ofcourse.
This boyfriend was just the perfect guy.
I didn't question his perfection.
I felt maybe life was handing me something beautyfull on a platter of gold and so, take the opportunity I did.

But that wasn't to last for long.

After his 10th attempt at sex and me, after explaining to him that I loved him so much but that we'd enjoy it better if we did it after marriage.

   "Seriously? In this century? Baby? C'mon."
   "Its a personal decision, you agreed to let me keep it"

That was the beginning of our first fight.

I thought and thought...

I called and called...

Ha!

All the stupid things I've had to do in the name of love.

One day I visited, to end the fight ofcourse.
As the "talk" progressed, he kept making a sad puppy face and all the while pretending to concur,
 
"Yes baby. I understand your point. I was foolish to have been mad at you..."

   And I go sensitive, "No, Sweetie. You weren't foolish. Thanks for understanding me"

 From nowhere, the clouds gathered and it poured tanks. I had to sleep over.

I didn't have to worry, afterall, I trusted him.
With the benefit of hindsight now, my foolishness at that point was stunning.

Night fell...

He got horny...


My mind changed on its own. Either because of the cold or he used something on me or my foolishness was just at its peak.

He deflowered yours sincerely... The "understander!"


After 2 months of the event, I started eating for two since he 'couldn't make it, something always came up' for nights on end.

I didn't mind...

I was smitten by cupid...


And then, he stopped calling....


I didn't mind. I called him, everyday.


I sent gifts during anniversaries.

I was like a wife, I felt like a wife!
But did the dude reciprocate all this? Nah.

When friends asked me to be wise and say yes  to one of the many guys who stalked me on campus, did I get wise? Nah!

When I started seeing him with that girl with ogbanje eyes, did I do anything? Nah.

There are the other things I wouldn't mention, so I'll just summarize them all into Et cetera, et cetera.

After everything, I learnt my lesson. But did I use my brains afterwards? Nah.

Did I get played by more guys? Yes.

Did I now learn to start 'loving the Nigerian way'?  Yes!

     I understood at some point, that truly, i'm a fine girl with fine features.
And when I knew my worth, my standards increased.

   This man kneeling opposite me, ring in palm, eyes large with hope, right in front of a house he probably wants to make our home, lightings displaying that four worded sentence with an accompanying question mark...

The scene is beautyfull.
He has great taste.
My only worry is whether or not our Americana love would turn Nigerian in a short while?
Whether or not I can marry a man 25 years older?
Whether or not.. Whether or not...

But i'm 30 now. I don't need to be in love with this man.

 "Yes, I will" I replied with a fake blush....

















Onyinye Sandra is a 200level Law student! She is a creative writer with a flair for fiction! She is wierd and her likes include - reading, "facebooking", writing, amongst others.


1 comment:

  1. Nice write-up.But I remain unconvinced with ur implied argument that materialism is an alternative to romance...a person is materialistic because he or she is so...the paradox of the issue is that same girls,after they have gotten the material things from the guy start arguing that material things are not enough...they start looking for the Titanic brand of romance...

    ReplyDelete