Categories

Saturday 13 February 2016

Special Valentine Law Love Story! - "In Law&In Love!"

The world over, February 14th has become a day that love is celebrated, while the method of celebration varies and the never ending controversy on who and how it should be celebrated, val's day undoubtedly stands out as a notable date in our annual circle.
It is in light of this, that ULP sought out and spoke with some of Law's most "popular" couple and engaged them on a couple of issues concerning their relationship.

We sat down with Freeman&Odiri (500level and 400level respectively)
Freeman and Odiri. 

and also David&Victoria (Winners of the "best couple" award for 100level).

David and Victoria. 


We had a great time talking to them and we hope you enjoy.






ULP - How did you guys meet?

Freeman - I met her when she was in 100level, I was in 200level then, I met her through the current Lawsa President (Garrick Nosa), I met her at a popular spot in law then, called "owine shop" though it has been renovated into a professor's lodge by our current dean. I met her few days before her birthday and that was in November 2012 to be precise, and on her birthday again I ran into her and I got her a perfect gift - "a bottle of coke" for her birthday and from there we started talking.


David - We were primary school classmates, we attended different secondary schools but kept in touch and then we got admission at the same time.



ULP - how long have you guys been dating?

Freeman - It's been three years and two months for us, including February.




ULP - how have you guys managed to stay together for this long, I mean three years is a lot of time?

Freeman - There has been various issues, we've had various issues but she has this unique way of mitigating those issues, I'm somebody that is very weak when it comes to issues, she on the other hand, her body structure regardless, happens to be very strong when it comes to handling issues, and I believe that has kept us this far.



ULP - how would you define love?

David - I believe love is indescribable, it's that feeling that you get when you meet the one for you, the one you want, that feeling you get when you are with that person.

Victoria - it's basically like he said, but for me, I believe it's a gradual process most times, it grows from "like" to "love", or "likeness" if you may, to something stronger.

*Cuts in* - have you ever heard about love at first sight?

Victoria - I have! And I believe in it sha.......



ULP - Both of you won the award for "best couple " at your induction dinner, how did that make you feel?

David - We were elated, we were grateful that are our classmates recognized our strong friendship.




ULP - There is actually a lot of confusion about your relationship status, some are of the opinion that you guys are dating, others believe you guys are just cousins?

Victoria - We are not related! The reason why people think so is majorly because we bear a very close resemblance, at least according to them.

David - For the other part of the question, we are very good friends, we like each other a lot, she understands me as I do her.

*cuts in* - But you guys are not dating yet?

David - Not officially!



ULP - So if either of you were to fall in love with someone else tomorrow, what would happen?

David - I'll leave it for both of them to sort out the issue, if the guy is comfortable with our relationship, fine.

Victoria - It'll be normal. First up I'll tell him if the girl is right or not. And then if she is not comfortable with our relationship and he agrees with her, and doesn't want to keep in contact with me, then I'll chill.



ULP - Is there a special way you guys plan to celebrate valentine?

Odiri - No, not really. We'll take it as we see it.

*cuts in* - So you guys did not get each other gifts or anything of the sort?

Odiri - Well, even if I did, if I told him now, it'll just defeat the whole purpose, because gifts of these sort are supposed to be something of a surprise.




ULP - how do you guys plan to celebrate valentine?

David - We'll see how it goes. We'll probably just hang out her place though.




ULP - Is this your first valentine together?

David - Probably!



ULP - Does valentine hold any special meeting for both of you or its just another normal day?

Freeman - Not really, we are catholics and if truly anybody knows the real reason behind the whole valentine thing, I don't think it's something we young adults should be celebrating, probably the whole rationale behind valentine has been misplaced but it's still actually a solemnity and it's actually a day to celebrate but I just think, probably only for "married couples".




ULP - What don't you like about him?

Victoria - he's never punctual.

David - her complacency! There are somethings that are meant to be taken seriously and she doesn't.

Odiri - his mood swings.

Freeman - I don't think there is anything I don't like about Odiri.



ULP - What do you like about him?

Victoria - They're are too many, I mean he's my friend and I actually like everything about him, but the truth is he's always there for me, he's somebody I can always complain to and he'll give me that listening ear plus the fact that he's very generous too.

David - I like the fact that she's a great conversationalist.

Freeman - She is a companion. She is somebody i'll call a "to be" wife!

Odiri - I like freeman, I just like him as a person.







ULP - What would you say attracted you to him?

Odiri - I don't know again sef ooo!

*Laughs*

ULP - how can you not know?

Odiri - Don't mind him though, his story of how we met is a little different from my own, probably because that's the one he remembered. But the one I remembered is the one where we were arguing, we were always arguing. So maybe what attracted me was the fact that he was always countering my arguments.




ULP - What is the best gift, he has ever gotten you?

Victoria - A sweater!

David - There was a book (Zoey) I was searching for a long time, I couldn't find it anywhere, I couldn't find it online too, I don't know how she got it but she it for me somehow.

Odiri - himself!

Freeman - There has been so many. About material gifts, she is very very generous but really for me, there was something she did that I consider the best sacrifice ever.
There was particularly time, I was really in need, I was not really buoyant then, she came in to save the day, I don't really know how she did it exactly but she solved my problem and since then, I owe her a great debt. She is a lifesaver!




ULP - how did you celebrate your last valentine?

Odiri - Nothing special really, we were just strolling round and then finally we ended up in law.




ULP - What sacrifices have you had to make just to make your relationship work?

Victoria - I've had to tolerate him. That's like the biggest.

David - I've made lots of sacrifices, I've sacrificed my time, most of the others are between us but really the biggest would be my time.




ULP - Do you guys see yourselves celebrating valentine together next year?

Freeman - We'll still be together next year, by the grace of God but the thing is that next year by his grace too, I'll be in law school and then by the look of things, valentine would probably fall on a monday or tuesday next year, so because of the academic commitments I don't really know how it's going to be like but if the context of the question is whether or not we'll still be dating next year?
This is a girl I plan on getting married to, I don't plan on breaking up with her.



David - If God wills.

Victoria - Maybe.




ULP - Do you see yourself getting married to him?

Victoria - No!
There's nothing really wrong with getting married to him but I don't really see myself getting married to him, mainly because we are two very different people.

David - No! Definitely not!
What makes us good friends we'll not work in a marriage situation, it'll just cause serious problems.




ULP - In the course of your relationship we assume that you guys have had to deal with jealousy and other emotions inherent or common to those that are dating, how have you guys been able to cope with these emotions?

Odiri - (in a sorrowful voice) We are coping oooh!
I believe everybody knows that freeman is a "ladiesman", but it's just about getting use to the fact that this is who he is and accepting that it's always going to be like that.

Freeman - I'm somebody that's very jealous but not obviously jealous, I don't know how but somehow she manages to know when I am and she has a way of telling me that nothing is going on, and then all its good.




ULP - What would you say is your greatest strength as a couple?

Freeman - Family! My family likes her, her family likes me, her aunt even called me today, so family.

David - Understanding! We understand each other perfectly.




ULP - Your most annoying / embarrassing moment together?

Freeman - It started in law and it was about my ex, she said some annoying things, not about me or about odiri, but I heard, and I didn't say anything.
When I got home, odiri was waiting for me at home, because though she was not around, but her friends had called her and narrated how I kept quiet, but long and short, the house was on fire, that was the first time that she raised her voice at me in three years and so it really stood out for me, plus the fact that some people were around all. It's probably a day I can never forget.

Odiri - It's not really a particular day thing, I just hate it when I'm with him and his brothers and they'll just start speaking their language, I'll be like - "GOD!!!" and then the next thing, they'll probably just say one thing about me in the sentence and I'll be like "issorite". But really those are like the most annoying times ever.






ULP - Quite a few people are of the school of thought that it's too young for anybody to be dating in 100level, what do you think?

Victoria - You should not be dating in 100level. I believe you are too young, the age is a big factor plus also you need to be focus on what you are here for.




ULP - Is it too young for them to be dating in 100level especially since you guys met in 100level and you guys are still waxing strong, marriage is even on the horizon?

Freeman - I believe it's too young to be dating in 100level, Odiri's  case is a little different, seeing that she was in English and literature department before she came to law, so she was matured to an extent, and could handle issues but if you notice 100level of nowadays, most of us are too young, majorly because we skip classes a lot unlike those days, so while I would not say it's totally wrong, I believe it's something that should not be encouraged, for 100level is a crucial year especially in relation to your "GP" and other relevant issues.

Odiri - I agree with him, I believe it's good to get your stand first, relationship comes with a lot of issues and 100level is too weak for you to start having issues, but everything depends on how ready and matured you are, I remember a talk we had in "NFCS" (Nigeria Federation of Catholic Students), the speaker said that, while he's not against dating in school but everything depends on what you are ready for, if you are ready for it and you are sure it's not going to affect academics or anything, good, my relationship with freeman for example, does not affect my academics, it actually helps it, seeing that he's a year ahead of me, so that when he's reading, there are some kind of things that he'll say that will stick to my head and when it gets to my turn to do that particular course, it's there.



ULP - What would you say to couples out there?

Victoria - Love is a beautiful thing, they should have fun, they should not let this valentine pass them by just like that.

David - They should keep their love going strong, they should not allow external interference weaken them and then if for some reason, they believe that they are not in the right relationship, they should get out immediately.

Freeman - Love is an intense feeling, it's like a fire, you always keep it going, if you tend to withdraw, it keeps dying, so they should just keep the fire burning and all will be fine despite the fact that they will face challenges, they need strength from each other to actually stand up, one person alone can not make it happen.






Interview by gafar and Joshua Ogbeide.


2 comments: