Categories

Sunday 20 March 2016

LAWSA - The Back story! Behind The Curtains With "Ann Edosomwan".

So in our bid to drawing Lawsans closer and bridging the gap, ULP decided and sought out one of the faculty's finest, Ann Edosomwan, She's in 500level and a Judge of the A.C.E Jural court, we engaged her on a couple of issues, in an interview that proved to be very revealing and at the same time entertaining.

Ann Edosonwan. 


Enjoy!






ULP'S gafar - Let's get a Bio from you?

Ann- My name is Osamudiamen Ann Edosomwan, I'm a member of the 500level constituency, faculty of law.
I'm from Edo state, Oredo local government area to be precise, I'm bini.
I'm a christian.... a very....how do I put it?.... I'm a christian, I attend Christian Fellowship International, CFI, it's from my home church, Church of God Mission International, born and bred.
My birthday is October 6th.



ULP'S gafar - Somewhere along the line, it sounded like you were going to say something like "i'm a very serious christian".

Ann- Yeah, I was looking for the word, I wanted to say fanatic but it was not really just coming to me....but I have a very good relationship with God.


ULP'S gafar - We were waiting for you to just say, I'm a very serious christian and then we'd be like - "but we don't see you in CLASFON meetings oooo"

*Laughs*

Ann- Thank God I didn't just say it.

*Laughter*


ULP'S gafar - Still, why don't we see you in CLASFON meetings?

Ann- Well, sincerely, the meeting time is not really convenient for me, saturday mornings are quite busy for me, one way or the other plus the meeting is quite early.



ULP'S gafar - Why did you decide to study law?

Ann- I think this is a question I still don't have a clear cut answer to even after spending five years in this faculty.
First of all, it all started as something I was good at, or better at, as in art courses in secondary school, definitely I did well in chemistry and all but I did better and had to read less for art courses, so I decided to stay in my comfort zone but since I got to the faculty, I've found that it's very practical, that's one thing I like about law, it's something you see in your day to day life, it's not something that's very abstract.
So right now, why law?
I like it because it's very applicable, it's not a course you read and you throw your degree somewhere and you have to use it in your daily lives, even as students now, somehow, one way or the other we have to apply it.
So I like law because of its applicability and it's a very interesting course.



ULP'S gafar - If you were not doing law, which other course do you see yourself doing?

Ann- Economics and Statistics.
I was or I am very good in economics, and I'm pretty good at maths.
I wrote Economics in my jamb, instead of writing Government and that was my highest score in jamb.


ULP'S gafar - Five years in law, who would you say is your best lecturer?

I think every year has had its high and lows but in terms of teaching and character in law, someone I have a personal relationship with will be Dr. Mrs Aigbokvaebo, criminal law lecturer.
She's like a mother, a sister and a friend.
I also like Professor Atsegbua because I have a personal relationship with him, he is such a nice person.


*ULP'S Odiri cuts in*. So aside personal relationships, teaching relationship, who would you say is your best lecturer?


Ann- I know this is going to sound strange but Barrister Darracourt is a very good lecturer.
Aside the gimmicks and the diversion, drama, mood swings when he is teaching law, you can't get confused.
Another of my best lecturers is Professor Idubor, his class was fun, he thought well, he gave us questions and they came out.


*Laughter*


ULP'S gafar - So who would you say is your worst lecturer?

Ann- For the safety of my graduation this year, i decide not answer that question. I'm too close to law school.



*Laughter*


ULP'S gafar - What is your best Law course?

Ann- I can't really say....
Family Law right now is very interesting. So right now family has my heart.


ULP'S gafar - Worst Course so far?

Ann- Administrative Law?


ULP'S gafar - That's strange, especially considering the fact that you have a personal relationship with the lecturer.

Ann- Professor Atsegbua is one of my favorite lecturers not because of administrative law but because of my personal relationship with him.
But administrative law, I was probably just too lax on it and didn't read it.
It wasn't my favorite course per se.


ULP'S gafar - It's on record that you were the best student in your class two years on a row now, what would you say was your best year and worst year so far academically?


Ann- From my result point of view, 100level was my worst year. 100level I hadn't really understood how to read yet, I just felt it's not a do or die affair, once you get tired, you drop your book but it's really a do or die affair.
So right now, my lowest G.P comes from 100level.
My highest G.P comes from 300level, it was actually fun, we did Law of torts, criminal law, computer etc, so it was really interesting.



ULP'S gafar - A 1st class or a 2.1, where would we peg you?

Ann- Na baba God hand e dey oooo! That's all I can say!

But the way the result is looking now, it's going to be a high 2.1, but it just needs a lot of work, if only I can put in alot of work.
But it's all God, I've never imagined that I'd be the best student in my class but result comes and somebody is like - "you are the best student" and I'm like - "you need to check again"
Both times I've been so shocked because I feel that there are people who are way better than me, it's not even feel, I know that there are people who are way better than me, so it's just God, God has been bringing me thus far, so it will be whatever he says it will be.



ULP'S gafar - I have that feeling too, I feel like there are a lot of people better than me but unfortunately they are always better.
I wish the result will just comply and I'll now give this modest speech.

*Laughter*


ULP'S gafar - What would you say in five years is your most scary or most embarrassing experience in law?


Ann- I can't really pinpoint right now....
There is no one experience, there are several experiences.
I can remember a day were I went to Mrs Aigbokvaebo's office, I just did my hair and she was like - "You look scary!".
It was really painful for me because there were a lot of people there and she ran me down, but at the end of the day she said sorry and she gave me money to do another hair.

*gafar cuts in* She gave you money? I need to do a scary hair!

*Laughter*

But before then, it was not funny because there were other people, other lecturers and you know once one lecturer starts talking even though the others don't find anything wrong, they just want to add their voices to it.
Then I didn't like my swearing in as a judge in front of congress, that's another sad experience.



ULP'S gafar - So let's take a break from the "Ann" questions and move to the hard questions.


*Ann cuts in* so those were not the hard questions?

*Laughter*

ULP'S gafar - No they weren't.

Ann- Oooooh? Alright.


ULP'S gafar - Can you cook?

Ann- Yes!


ULP'S gafar - Say ULP were to visit you in your room, what would you cook for us?

Ann- Going by what's in my fridge now, it probably be banga and starch.
I have banga soup, I have starch, so probably that would be the easiest thing now.


ULP'S Josh - When are we making that visit?
..briefly!


*Laughter*



ULP'S gafar - What's your favorite meal?

Ann- I like plantain a lot in any form.
Roasted, fried, boiled, any form.
Plantain that's ripe but not too ripe and garden egg sauce to be precise.



ULP'S gafar - Do you have a boyfriend?

*Ann Laughs*

As if I knew. You guys are so predictable.
"No i don't"



ULP'S gafar - Are you gay?

Ann- Is that not prohibited in Nigeria? So even if I am, will I tell?



ULP'S gafar - It's hard to believe that you are pretty, you are intelligent, you are in 500level Law and yet you are single.




Ann- It's a personal decision, not to settle for less.

ULP'S Josh - You hear am? having a boyfriend is less!

*Laughter*


ULP'S gafar - why do I percieve feminism?

Ann- it's not feminism! it's just a case of  everybody else does and one person personally doesn't.
Okay at this stage now, anybody you want to date, even if you don't get married to the person but at least you should be like, if the world was going to end and God said you should marry who you are dating, at least you can marry that person and still live with the person.
So if you see somebody that has some nice traits, everybody has flaws, there are many flaws that somebody can stand, using myself as an example, I've been able to work well with people that have temper, so if I'm dating somebody that has a temper, it'll not be a problem for me.
It just a matter of, it should be somebody that it'll lead somewhere if it had to and not just a fling.



ULP'S gafar - Who are your heroes in law?

Ann- Definitely Professor L.A Atsegbua because he is a S.A.N and that's like the ultimate goal of every lawyer.
I like Mrs Stewart, she is doing very well for herself, especially on the international scene.


ULP'S gafar - What's the best gift you've ever received?

Ann- My phone!

*gafar cuts in* Why? I mean how expensive is the phone?

*Odiri* An iphone 6++


*Ann laughs*

Amen oooo!

There are many though but the one laced with so much love is a necklace from my mom.



ULP'S gafar - What item in your closet is the most expensive and which do you wear the most?


Ann- I think it's a wrist watch I have.
These are really hard questions, I've not really thought about them.



ULP'S Josh - back to the iPhone......

Ann- off record.


ULP'S gafar - Which item do you wear the most?


Ann- A chain my mother bought for me.


ULP'S gafar - Do you have any regrets in life?

Ann- Yes I do!


ULP'S gafar - If you could change one thing in your life right now, what would it be?


Ann- Okay, there is something I can change but I can't tell you, let me just put that at the back of my head.
But I wish I had taken my academics more seriously in my preliminary years, 100level and 200level.


ULP- *Murmurs* With all you've achieved, you are a 2nd class upper student yet you regret the 100level?


Ann- There is something about.....
Don't worry though, we'll talk off the record.


ULP'S gafar - There is this article and ruckus about APAC, what do you have to say about the whole issue?

Ann- I think people should stick to their various functions, what they have been cut out for in the faculty.
APAC is a committee that is suppose to interview people for the position of Judges, S.A.L's, and recommend to the President, who has discretionary powers to chose, a lot of people are sticking their nose were it does not belong, that's just the summary of it all. I think a lot of things can be sorted out without resorting to the board and insulting words, it'll be more respectful and effective If you have a concern and you go and meet the person directly, I'll probably listen to a person who comes to me directly and say, I don't like this or can you explain this to me, I really do not care because a lot of people will not even see what you wrote on the board.


ULP'S gafar - Okay, moving from APAC, but still Judge related, why did you decide to become a judge? Seeing as you could have been anything in this faculty even SUG self.

*Ann laughs*

The position of a Judge is quite a tricky one because you are supposed to know everything but I went into the Jural court to learn, I can say I've learnt more from the Jural court than I've given.
I wanted to be a Judge since 100level because I appeared in my 100level and I was like, I must be a judge, but along the line, I got lax about it, so when 400level came, I was like, let me give it a try.
With the recommendation of APAC and approval of Mrs President at that time, I was deemed fit to be a judge.
At first, I really looked down on myself because then we were only two females and there were a lot and lot of qualified people, but later I was like, if I was chosen who am I to look down on myself when people are not.
So yes, I wanted to be a judge because I wanted to make an impact in my own little way, I didn't want to be a normal class person, there are some people that will graduate from this faculty that you'll not even remember them.
So yes, learning and making a mark!


ULP'S gafar - Would you say you've made your mark?

Ann- Well, right now, I'm the only female judge in my class until new ones are appointed. I think people should remember that.


ULP'S gafar - What brings you the greatest joy and satisfaction?

Ann- Family! But sleep comes very close.

ULP'S gafar - What is the most daring thing on your to-do list before you clock 70?

Ann- Sky diving!
Because you get to see everywhere and it's all very clear and exciting.
I'd also like to dive into the sea too.




ULP'S gafar - What is your greatest strength?

Ann- Organization. I can be very organized to an extent it can be a disorder.


ULP'S gafar - Information reaching us says you are a member of your final year planning committee?

Ann- Yeah! I'm a member of the t-shirt sub planning committee.


ULP'S gafar - What's your biggest weakness?

Ann- Indecisiveness.
My friends are tired of me, so that sometimes if bring two things and I'm like should I take this or should I take this, they will just lock their door and not answer me, happens every time.

Before I pick anything, I'd always like going through the pros and cons, I believe that's my biggest weakness.


ULP'S Josh - When time to chose husband comes too....

*laughter*

ULP'S gafar - How do manage be "compulsively organized" and been indecisive?


Ann- Been organized has to do with daily life, like if you see my phone, I have different alarms, wake up for class, go to class, go and jog, and my room, I like for things to be the way they are.
The issue with indecisiveness has to do with making choices.
I don't think they are really conflicting.


ULP'S gafar - What's your favourite movie?


Ann- Home alone!
That's like my favourite movie of all time because I can remember, I think I've watched that movie a lot of times.


ULP'S Josh - What's your genre of movies?

Ann- I like horror movies.


ULP'S gafar - Who's your favourite Nigerian and foreign music artist?

Ann- I'm not sure I have a favourite artist.

ULP'S Odiri - Looking at Ann from the outside, you don't look like you fancy Nigeria music.

Ann- Oh! I like Nigeria music. I listen to everything. I don't watch TV alot but if I come across a song and I like the song, I'll just download it. So if you see my playlist, it's mixed, there's christian music, rock music, there was a time I was really into rock music, there are also times when I prefer the quiet thing.

Nigeria artist is all about seasons and they are having hits here and there, right it's Olamide, but I used to like Wande Coal alot.


*gafar cuts in* before they pursued him from Mo hits!


*laughter*


ULP'S gafar - Who do you go to for advice?

Ann- It depends on the subject matter.
I'm very close to my mom. For academics I have people from the previous set, that I'm very close to and all. Recently, I had to switch courses, electives that we had already started, I had to call someone from law school.
If it's a matter of guys, an older cousin.
But my mom most of the time.



ULP'S gafar - How come you don't want to settle for less and yet you talk to an older cousin about guys?

Ann- No nah! So if something "more" na comes, I will na dull?



ULP'S gafar - How would you rate Garrick's administration so far?

Ann- This is a trick question.

*Laughs*

Well, I think he has been facing alot of challenges that people are not aware of, communication with the faculty administration, finances and all that.
So I do not think he has been able to carry out all he has planned to carry out because of all these hindrances, but I think that he is trying.



ULP'S gafar - On a scale of " 1-10 ",how would you rate his government?

Ann- I beg not to answer that question.


ULP'S gafar - If you could get rid of one Law course, what would it be?

Ann- Jurisprudence.



ULP'S Odiri - Let's go back to people's perception of you, what do you think of Ann?

I can be a playfully and funny person, I wouldn't say I'm shy but sometimes I can be somewhat  reserved.
It's hard for me to walk up to people and just say hi, there has to be an incident.
I remember I didn't used to talk to gafar, until one day he sat close to me in night class and I needed to browse and he gave me this phone and since then we've been talking, I imagine that before then, he probably thought I was a snub, but since then I don't think there has been a day were I walk past intentionally without saying hi.
So I just think some people are more friendly than others.
I know of a guy in my class that used to hate me, but we got talking and became really close.
So yeah.

ULP'S Odiri - So that clears the misconception of Ann been a snub.

Ann- Oooh, I'm a snub?

*laughter*


Another thing is that, younger colleagues these days are very disrespectful. They pass you and not only do they not greet, they keep on staring at you. There are many times I've greeted I've greeted younger ones and they'll just pass without greeting, do you think I'll greet them again next time? Definitely not!
Even in my hostel too, it's the same thing.
When I was in 100level, when I see somebody older than me, the joy in my heart to greet, you don't even understand.


*Laughter*


Even people who are one year my senior, I believe it's right if you have good home training and etiquette plus the fact that it takes nothing from you to just greet.
But a lot of people these days are disrespectful, so it makes you want to push them aside, so that even when people have good intentions but because you've just generalized them, you don't get to talk to them.







ULP'S gafar - If you could scrap out one constituency from Law right now, what would it be?

Ann- 400level you people are very arrogant, like really arrogant.

*laughter*

But I will not scrap your class (400level), if I were to, I'd scrap 200level.
I didn't say 400level is disrespectful, i said arrogant.


ULP'S gafar - Do you have a pet?

Ann- No.

ULP'S gafar - If you had one what would it be?

Ann- A dog.


ULP'S gafar - What bad habit are you proud of breaking or would you like to break?

Ann- Procrastination.



ULP'S gafar - And I was expecting indecisiveness.

Ann- I think I like my indecisiveness because at the end of the day, I'd still go back to what I want. But procrastination, there are a lot of things I'd like to just keep to time and do at the right time more often.



ULP'S gafar - If you could wake up in the body of another person, who would it be?


Ann- I'd like to wake up in my own body with a little modification.


ULP'S Josh - The faculty management, they've placed a ban on non law students reading in the lecture theaters, what do you think?

Ann- I want to graduate, I dey beg you abeg!

*laughter*

ULP'S Josh - Still what do you think?

Ann- Faculty management said the lecture theaters should be for law students only, as law students we should abide by the law.... law school is closer than it was yesterday, so abeg.


ULP'S gafar - How do you manage to keep fit?


Ann- I jog. Recently I've not been consistent because when I come back from night class, I'm very tired.
But basically i've been trying to eat right, like since October I don't think I've drank coke because I really wanted to lose weight.





ULP'S gafar - Okay. One of our last questions, specifically requested by Chinenye Ugwoke, she's one of your biggest fan, she wants to know - "how do you cope with the popularity of your surname? "

Ann- I think I've heard a lot of things.
I don't know, I don't think the name is that popular.
I've heard gossips but the thing is, if they are not true, why bother yourself about it.


ULP'S gafar - When are we expecting a Sportage jeep (SUV), I mean this is final year already?

Ann- My parents would not give me a car in school.


ULP'S gafar - That's sad! I was hoping to book a seat already, briefly.


*laughter*




We want to say thank you very much for taking the time to talk to us, we had a really great time and we hope that you did too and lawsans will enjoy getting to know you.



1 comment:

  1. Very interesting interview, but errrm Miss Ann don't you think it is unfair to other members of the 400level constituency to be addressed as arrogant when you don't even know all of them? #justsayingsha

    ReplyDelete