Categories

Tuesday 10 May 2016

400level Class Versus Lawsa President - More Facts Emerge!

Few weeks back, the faculty was in chaos with regards to a comment allegedly made by the President in connection to the 400level class.

As a result of a press release by the President, made available to ULP, amidst many other issues arising, ULP sought and spoke with some of the principal members involved in the issue.

Due to their busy schedule, it took a while, but ULP finally sat and spoke with Olawale Busari (Class Rep 400level) and Ronny Igo, two of the principal members of the case in issue and they gave their own account of what really transpired and the way forward.


Excerpts :






Good day sir. Last week (25th April) monday, you made an announcement in your class, concerning an alleged statement made by President Garrick. This has generated mixed reactions from Lawsans in general, and this prompted a reply from the President in which inter alia, he denied ever making such statement. What do you have to say concerning the whole matter?

In this part of the world, different things happen for different reasons, but there is something which is very important, which I expect every reasonable person to know: When you have a leader, you are duty bound to care for them, respect them and regard them. It is only in Nigeria, or let me say this part of the world, where a leader errs, make a mistake and you try to point it out, you are most of the time called names. Everybody in this faculty knows the fact that if you were to look at seniority, with all due respect, I am the most senior class rep in the Faculty of Law. So when it comes to the issue of politics in the faculty, I am not unaware of anything going on in the faculty, even though the position I occupy dictates that I must as a matter of necessity be neutral. 
More so, concerning the reply 'so to speak' of Mr President, well I went through it and I saw what I described as a melodrama. A melodrama in what sense? I can recall discussing with a friend and he said he heard I had an issue with the President, then he made a statement "Wale but you and Garrick na friends that year na". And I replied him "Yeah, I am not saying we are not friends anymore". But the fact is, truth is a bitter pill to swallow. I do not expect Mr President to admit it [that he made the statement] because that is what an average Nigerian would do. But it would have really placed him in a higher pedestal, as far as I know, because it is only in this part of the world that a leader says something now and in the next minute he says he never made such statement, so I do not really expect him to admit it. 
It is a form of drama, so I am not really surprised.  


When you made the announcement in class, you did not disclose any source of that information. In the President statement where he denied the allegation, his defence is that the evidence of purported witnesses do not corroborate. So sir, can you disclose how you came about such information that Garrick made the statement?

Thank you for that question. There is something which I am yet to comprehend; I must say this, I guess Mr Presdent did not read my article. Somebody read it to him. I mean President Garrick is intelligent, I believe he is well read, we are all in a citadel of learning, so the fact that he knows how to read and write is not in dispute. When I say somebody read it for him, what I mean by that is people actually drew inference from what I wrote, not speaking from my own mindset, honestly speaking. If you look at the content and structure of my article, it is divided into three parts. The first part talked about the general election [SUG], I used that opportunity to congratulate the winners and those that lost. The second part talked about the roles played by some key elements in the faculty which as far as I know contributed to the so called 'success' of Faculty of Law in the SUG Elections. Then thirdly, which is even the most minute paragraph in my article, is just to give a proper understanding of what Bench of Jurists, my dear class, is all about. I only made it known and clear to people that predicated on the statement credited to the person of the President, all I did was to tell the world "we are not this, we are not that, this is who we are". So I was not in any way insulting the President and I will never do that. From how he went about to get his information, while I was addressing the class, I never mentioned any name. But it really ridicules reasoning when I read his write up, his supposed reply that some persons said they were not the ones that made the statement; the question I begin to ask is when did President Garrick turn to ULP member? Because if you read the press release, he was saying it as if he was actually the one interviewing those people, like "Eiwanlan says no be talk am oh, I no dey there when e talk am". To me its suprising that in an effort to defend yourself, you go about trying to make yourself look so special and cool, to me it does not make sense as far as I am concerned. 
Concerning the issue of the person who witnessed it, since Mr President has not in any way approached me to ask me, "Wale how did you come about this statement?" So I presume he is not interested in knowing who told me about it. And there is one thing that I want you to know. On the night of the election, a member of the class was actually accosted by younger colleagues who were asking him [in a hostile manner] "did you vote? Let us see your thumb". Number two is where the President was actually blaming my class in the presence of other students, that we were the ones that brought about the failure of the faculty in the elections. Well, when we talk about maturity and high level of reasoning, the fact that somebody has scrotum between the legs does not make that person a man. Of course it is possible to say something now and in the next few seconds, you deny it, but going by the biblical recommendation, I will like to make reference to second Corinthians chapter 13 verse 1. It is so clear that through the mouth of two or three witnesses, the truth is established. Even the fact that we might not in any way [for now] have the opportunity of disclosing the witness or witnesses [of the President's alleged statement], but the fact that there was a kind of reaction, and the reaction gathered momentum which in its sense translated into this whole uproar. If we are even to go by the Evidence Act as a law student, section 200 talks about it, that you do not need 200 million people to come and attest to the fact that something happened. So the fact that Mr President was saying the witnesses did not corroborate the alleged statement, to me it is erroneous. I do not need one million persons. If we have one person who is credible and who we believe is up to the task of being truthful in his statement, then so be it. 


With this development, do you think the relationship between the 300level, 400level and 500level constituencies? 

Thank you. That is my main question! And that is the main issue I was actually trying to address. I was looking forward to a situation where we will have some sort of amity between 300level and 400level. You see, the President does not really understand the prestige attached to that office, I think if he does, he would not even move near such a statement let alone uttering it.
Thus, I wrote my article to appeal to the conscience of the 300level constituency, to clarify their doubts on the key players to the success or otherwise of the election; and also for the 500level constituency in which the President as far as I am concerned is the number one student in that class, as he is also the number one student in the faculty of Law, University of Benin. So to me, every reasonable person should not in any way think or feel that statement credited to the President or my reaction would destabilise or cause any fracas or would not bring a cordial relationship between my class and his class. The class rep of 300level is my very good friend, and the 500level class rep too, he is somebody I know quite well, so why should there be any issue? As Law students, let us try to stand out and up firmly for justice, this is what I actually stand up for. 
Let me take you down the memory lane. I could remember when Innocent Osagu was the LAWSA President about two years. I am not a member of the 400level football team [BOJ FT], but they promised us some amount of money, which they did not fulfill, and after much appeal, nothing happened. I have realised that in Nigeria, if you really want to achieve something, you have to be diplomatic and at the same time outspoken. It was until Osagu was petitioned by my humble self that we were able to retrieve 5,000naira from the 10,000naira that was promised. Even though that was not the agreement, at least he restored us back to the position we were as if we never contracted. 
So the fact that I said something to President Garrick, is something he should even be happy about. If his friends do not tell him he has erred, is it his enemies that will tell him? University of Benin is a scaled-down version of the larger society where as far as I know, we learn and we will keep learning. So I think he has learnt something, that any position you are occupying, you need to be diplomatic and be careful with words. So the fact that I said something about him, I do not mean any hatred. 
And something I want a lot of persons to understand, who misconstrued my intention, President Garrick cannot come out boldly and say on uncountable number of times, I have not approached him to discuss some issues with him privately, I have on uncountable number of times. But in order to redeem my class, I had to make this open. So I was constrained to do it, and I have no regrets for making it. 


Is there a way out from all this?

If there is a way out? Once there is entry, I believe there is exit. There is a way out of course, and it is only Mr President that knows the way out. I regard him so much, I respect him a lot. For the fact that he can maneuver his way when it comes to speaking of Yoruba as a language, I credit him for that. Because once you know how to speak my language, my love for you will just blossom. And also by virtue of his birth, I believe he was born in Lagos, I was also born in Lagos. So it is more or less like we share some attributes in common. The thing is, I do not have any problem whatsoever with Garrick, but there is one thing I would have loved and so much desired; in fact if I am not in this country, let's say we have graduated and after some years, someone calls me and say Garrick is coming out for position of Governor of Edo state or President of Nigeria, or any key position... ; if President Garrick had tried as much as possible to admit this, it would have been lovely. As I rightly said earlier, truth is a bitter pill to swallow. I know he must have been advised not to admit it, but the issue is this: As Nigerians and as future leaders, is this what we owe our people? We owe our people a lot. I can make the mistake, anybody can make the mistake in the heat of the moment. You could be angry and just make a statement, but there is nothing bad in you retracting that statement. So if he actually comes out openly and say "I have made a mistake" or "there is a mistake on my path", then I will be the first person to champion the cause of Garrick in the future, I must tell you. In my four years in this faculty as a class rep, I do not think I have had issues with people. 
In fact let me clarify something, which is the issue of trying to gain attention in Garrick's administration. Then I begin to laugh, and ask myself "what is so special about Garrick's administration that will prompt me to crave for attention?" To me, it ridicules reasoning, it does not really make sense, I do not need to do that. And besides, we do not crave for attention, we command attention, and thankGod we have been able to prove a point, we commanded attention to our constitiuency, as to the statement credited to the president, so that is enough. 


So Sir, is the President to come out openly and apologise?

There are reasons for my reaction, I think two or three. The first is to clarify would be interested Lawsans on elections in this faculty, second is to broker peace between 300level and 400level class, and on a final note, to clarify Lawsans that the failure or success in the SUG should not in anyway be associated with 400level constituency alone. So I believe I have been able to make a point and my point is clear enough. If the President admits fine, if he does not, there is no problem. We move forward. But what we should know as individuals is that we write our dossier everyday. I believe I have written my dossier and it is engraved in Garrick's heart. He has also written his and it is engraved in my heart, which I will not forget. The question is what kind of dossier have we written? Well that is subjective. 


So has this affected your relationship with Mr President. 

*chuckles* Well, what the President may not have understood is that I actually acted in my official capacity as the class rep of the 400level constituency, with respect to the credited to the President in his official capacity. So we were only trying to clarify ourselves in our official positions. So I strongly believe that as a lover of peace, that should not affect the relationship between us. If the President in his mighty power demands my attention right away, who am I to say no to him? Of course I will respond to him. But to me, it has not affected and it will not affect any relationship between us. If I need anything from him, I will gladly knock on his door and ask him. But I do not know if it has really affected any relationship between us on his own part, either in his official capacity or his personal capacity. But if it is going to affect any relationship in our official capacity, I believe that would be too bad, because as Lawsans we have every right to seek clarification. So when I am in doubt I call on Mr President. Thank you. 












#RONNY IGO




You are aware of the "alleged" presidential statement which was made known to the class via announcement of the class rep of 400level, Olawale Busari, and the faculty by extension, while he didn't disclose his sources, we have it on good authority that while the announcement was made, you attested to have been there and went as far as mentioning some names, Daniel Eiwanlan and Joshua Okeme in another account.


RONNY IGO - The truth of the matter is that most people don't know how this thing started and they got angry and forgot to realize that there are other sides of the coin they should turn to.
Like you said earlier, that I corroborated what the class rep announced in class that I was actually there when the statement was made, well the truth of the matter is - Yes i was there when he (Garrick) said something but not necessarily there when he said BOJ (400level class) is useless, I've been saying so ever since. 
When the class rep announced the fact that the president said BOJ is useless, I was in class, some persons were skeptical about whether the president said such or not, some persons stood up and insisted that he did, what I stood up to say was not that he called my class useless, but the fact that he was actually pushing the blame, that the faculty in respect to Olumese, lost the election.
Now let me just give a quick background of what transpired. 
On that fateful day, which was a friday, we've had all voted and some persons were all over the place waiting for results, we were getting some results from some polling units about their candidate score and all that. We were in the Attorney General's office, that night and it was about 9 to 10pm, some persons were seated inside while some sat outside, myself included with Daniel Eiwanlan in my class (400level student), we were gisting and at a point I got exhausted and decided to go downstairs to get some fresh air and possibly see one or two friends.
When I got down, I saw the A.G (former), I don't know where he went to, I didn't not even see him when went downstairs because I remember the time when I enter his office, I saw him but when I went downstairs I saw him coming upstairs, perhaps he took the other stair behind his office, as he was coming up, he was expressing a sign of frustration, so I asked him, "A.G what's up?", he had to hit his hand on the wall before answering me, he said, "this faculty eh!" and placed his hand on his mouth and said again, "Law eh!", I asked him again, "A.G what's up?", then he said, "imagine na thirty one votes na Olumese carry take lose", when he said that, I felt so bad, he was going upstairs to his office so I followed him, when the got to the staircase, he paused for a while, still showing signs of feeling too emotional, I don't know whether he wanted to cry or whether he did, so I past him and went to were I seated before and I was trying to let Daniel, my classmate, what the A.G had told me, then he had not even told the news to those that were in his office, so while I was trying to do that, the A.G passed me and went into his office and after a while some persons started coming out, they were angry, Olumese came out followed by some of his classmates, they were trying to console him and all, after a while Garrick then came out, so immediately Garrick came out, he was about to go downstairs, perhaps leave the building, he saw me seated with Daniel, he turned and look at me and said - "BOJ eh, BOJ eh, una class una don make Olumese lose this election, your class nor fit come out come vote" that was what he said, and then a little exchange of words followed when I replied him, "how many people for your class come out come vote?" then he said - "Na my class election? " and I retorted, "Na my own class election? ".
So when he saw that I was not accepting the blame, he left. When he left I became angry, I had to leave the building because of the attitude he demonstrated, I went downstairs and walked to the faculty here and saw some 300level students and some other 200level students that actually campaign for Olumese complaining bitterly, and probably because they've gotten the perception that it was my class that made Olumese not win the election, when I walked into their midst, I was an outcast because they've gotten that misconception already and they were angry at my class, I was trying to convince them asking them to calm down and not allow anger becloud their sense of reason, that the entire issue was a faculty thing, based on the fact that what happened was a faculty syndrome, some persons find it difficult to conform to faculty activities and also I had to mention the fact that this whole issue was as a result of  the foundation that has been laid, because i know that the last time there was an SUG election in this school, law students actually voted, perhaps they are apathetic right now because  after everything I don't think they had the dividends of what they actually put forward, I'm just saying my opinion, so I'm  giving reasons behind the apathy towards the election, that was my own opinion and gave an example of the fact that most people that voted, they met a very bad situation where they could not apply for hostel space, and the person's they voted and should speak for them, did absolutely nothing about it and those persons are now trying to mobilize them and get them to vote, on a normal day, any reasonable person that has suffered and also struggled to get a hostel space or are squatting. Some persons are different, I bought a space for 26000, yet I still had to come out for Olumese, I even campaigned for him.
I even heard some people complaining that even after what they did last time, nobody thank them or did anything for them, so they don't think they will be so foolish to come and vote.
So in trying to convince them, I also had to let them know that they should not apportion, but they should consider me, I came out for my class and I know some persons in my class that also came out to vote. In fact we had three aspirants for the position of Attorney General, so there is a presumption that at least a quarter, or even half of my class came out to vote for the AG aspirant, and so having notice of the fact that we had a Director of Finance aspirant, they had no reason to vote for anyone else, moreover there was a General assembly where it was announced that we all should come out and vote for our own; also we had Eke Martins from our class for the position of Secretary General, so there is a strong presumption that anybody from my class that came out to vote for those persons will definitely vote for Olumese, so they should not apportion blame. While I was saying this, Chison Kwevis came in and then some persons were trying to blame CLASFON, that CLASFON did not come out and all that, and Chisom also tried to pacify them, then we left. 
As I was leaving, I got a call immediately from Joshua Okeme, and he was like "did you hear what Garrick just said, Garrick just said our class is useless", and all that. So Joshua Okeme told me on phone the version that is circulating right now, that Garrick said our class is useless. So I was not surprised anyway because I had earlier had an altercation with the President, although he did not use the word 'useless', he was just trying to lay blame on our class. So when Okeme told me, I just told him not worry, not to mind Garrick, you know, try to downplay the whole thing, letting him know that he had earlier tried to blame our class, so I was not surprised that he was abusing my class. 
That day was Friday, on Saturday I slept all through, I have evidence that I did not go out that day. I had 30 missed calls and several whatsapp messages, so I had to screengrab it, I do not even know why I screengrabbed it, the date and time is there, I did not even go for training. Which means I did not communicate anything that happened or whatever Garrick had said to me, which was not the 'useless' anyway. So I was hoping that on Monday, I would see him, ask him or that which ever way the would come up, because I knew that from the anger of 300level, it would continue on Monday so I was hoping we could address it. So on Saturday I did not go out, Sunday I did not go to church neither did I come to the faculty. It was on Monday when I came to class, I was astonished when Wale came out and went ballistic about what Garrick said. So when persons were now being confused whether Garrick said 'anything' at all about our class, I stood ground, trying to let them know that he actually insulted the class. When I say 'insulted' the class, I do not mean whether he said we are 'useless' or not. I actually told them that he 'insulted' the class by trying to apportion blame, that we did not come out to vote. That was what I was hammering, I did not insist that I was there when Garrick said that my class is useless and I did not reveal anything to the class rep or consult any individual to incite anything. Why am I saying this? I am not saying it because I am trying to shield myself or I am scared, I am only saying what I heard and saw. And like I said before what he said was "your class ehn, BOJ ehn... Una don make Olumese lose election", and that was an insult. Now I am saying this because it is now looking as if I was the one that told the class rep that I heard say we are 'useless' which made him to announce to the full class. Now it would be important if the person who told the class rep that he heard when the President called my class 'useless' to reveal himself. And Daniel Eiwalan has said he did not hear the President say such because he was beside me, so he was a witness to the fact that the President was trying to blame my class. So I am not sure he heard when the President said the class is useless, what Daniel is denying which is tenable is that people are saying he heard when Garrick said BOJ is useless. 
Now the story is in two ways. Two ways in the sense that Daniel and I heard the part where Garrick was trying to blame my class, some other group heard the part where he called the class useless, and the persons that heard the part where the class was being blamed did not tell the class rep, it is probably the other group. 
So the thing now is for those that told the class rep that they heard the President say our class is useless, to come out and declare that they heard the President say it, where and the time they heard it. 


The fracas as it seems, may not necessarily be because he blamed the class for the SUG election loss, but that he called the class useless. Now you have known the President for a while now, in fact you had a hand in the election that brought him into office. Do you think he is capable of making such statement. 

Well you can't tell. The fact that I have not heard him use such word on an individual in this faculty before, I would like to presume that he might have not said that. But there is a possibility he might have said somethings before saying the class is useless. Maybe he was angry and he was saying so many things, and the part the individual who heard him got was the part that 400level students are useless. 
In my opinion, based on the fact that I have not heard about him having an altercation with somebody before in the faculty which led to him abusing the person and I was not there when he said it, I will not accuse him of saying such. In fact he has actually come out to debunk the fact that he said that the class his useless, so who am I? So I want to presume that he did not say it. 


Although everywhere seems calm on the surface but there could still be some subtle tension, between the 400level class and the President on one side, and the 400level Class rep and the President on the other side. Do you see a way out from all these?

Yeah. There is a way out. I think my statement now will definitely resolve the issue because there were facts lacking and it was from me. This should put the matter to rest. If the President has said that he did not make such statement then we should just let go. And also the fact that I said he actually blamed my class, should also be let go, because it was the same misconception the 300level students had and now they are coming to grounds that it is a Faculty problem, so we should just let go. That is the only way out. 


While your advice is for everyone to let go, some others are of the opinion that the President should come before the class when we are a full house and apologise...

There is absolutely no need for that. The President has issued a press release that he did not say it. So coming to apologise to the class definitely means that he said it, a thing which he will not do. 


I am not talking about an apology for calling the class useless. You said he 'insulted' the class by apportioning the blame for the loss in the SUG elections. 

Well, I do not know if he would be willing to come and apologise based on what I have just told you now, because some persons will still have the belief that he called the class 'useless'. Of course I am not saying he should come and apologise for saying the class is useless as has been purported by some individuals. If he should come to the class, he should come and say that he is sorry for trying to blame the class for not coming out to vote because it is a fact he cannot deny. 

Thank you. 







Report by josh. 







No comments:

Post a Comment